Full-Time Technical Writer (Washington D.C.)
|Be part of something innovative and cutting edge.Join our team of more than a hundred software engineers, designers, project managers and software specialists that are smart, creative and excited by what they do.
Some of our ground-breaking work includes:
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm with a growing software engineering and product development team. We design and build things that are inspiring and make a real impact in the online testing industry. We are currently seeking Technical Writers to join our team in the Washington, DC office.
|Technical Writers will work collaboratively with software developers, testers, and project managers to develop appropriate content. The ideal candidate will have a working understanding of technical concepts and programming languages as well as the ability to communicate that understanding to a wider audience.Responsibilities include:
1. Collaborate, design and author User Guides and Training Manuals.
2. Collaborate productively with all subject matter experts within a team environment to develop appropriate content. Subject matter experts may include, but are not limited to, developers, project managers, training instructors, project leads, and testers.
3. Follow the standard design, layout, and format of the documentation using approved software tools.
4. Test user documentation against the product in conjunction with the subject matter expert to ensure the documentation’s technical accuracy rectifying any discrepancies.
5. Manage each defined project responsibly and on schedule including planning time for necessary reviews of documentation. Anticipate projects in development stage and communicate with the Knowledge Support Team Manager to allow for adequate planning.
6. Provides system diagrams of the existing systems and proposed system enhancements.
7. Explain the different software modules within a system and document their use.
8. Provide technical and functional requirements of new software modules.
|1. At least 4 years of technical writing experience in software development field.
2. Bachelors or Masters Degree, preferrably in Computer Science or IT, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
3. Ability to convey complex information in an appropriate fashion to audiences with different levels of technical knowledge.
4. Experience working on software development projects in a technical role (developer, technical writer, tester, business analyst) preferred
5. Basic knowledge of HTML, SQL and/or a programming language
6. Past experience in writing functional requirements. Other experience with documentation tasks may include: system documentation, use cases and UML.
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
8. Proven problem-solving and demonstrated teamwork skills.
9. Strong interest in software and technical writing technologies.WP