Full-Time Technical Writer (San Diego, CA)
The California Smokers’ Helpline (CSH) is part of the UCSD Moores Cancer Center and provides free evidenced-based telephone counseling to help people quit using tobacco. CSH offers service in six different languages – English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, and Vietnamese. In addition, CSH conducts research in tobacco control through grant funding (NCI, CDC, CMD, TRDRP, and others).
Under general supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI), the Technical Writer will write scientific/technical material of a difficult and complex nature. Applying knowledge of psychology, public health, tobacco control & tobacco control interventions, research & research methodology and/or related areas, the incumbent will conceptualize, write, and edit research reports, scholarly articles, grant applications, web-based content, and psycho-educational materials. The position will also conduct exhaustive literature searches; read and analyze scientific and technical content as well as write communications on those subjects for researchers, clinicians, and a general audience. The individual will organize, analyze and interpret complex clinical, scientific and/or technical data and write clear, cogent communications. The incumbent also will prepare work to give formal and informal presentations in a variety of settings. Facilitate regular meetings on progress of writing for manuscripts, grants and other materials. The Technical Writer also provides writing advice to faculty and staff as well as a high level of customer service in all activities.
- Graduation from college with a major in journalism, communication, or another subject area related to writing. Professional writing ability demonstrated by at least two (2) years of experience and or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Background and interest in psychology, public health, research & research methodology and/or related field.
- Previous experience writing about science for both technical reviewers and a general audience.
- Demonstrated skill in written communication that express complex clinical, scientific, and or technical content in understandable terms. Experience in proofreading, and editing for content, style, flow, and tone.
- Experience editing for stylistic consistency, logical organization, rational development of content and ensuring technical accuracy.
- Excellent computer skills including PC, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, HTML, Adobe Acrobat, Access, Illustrator, Reference Manager, RefWorks or related program, etc.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects with conflicting deadline pressures and priorities. Must possess efficient time management skills with ability to meet deadlines. Ability to work with minimal direction and on a self-directed basis as well as in a team setting.
- Superior interpersonal, written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate, collaborate, establish and maintain good working relationships with a diverse population of multi-disciplinary researchers, faculty and staff. Demonstrated ability to communicate with tact, diplomacy, flexibility, professionalism and discretion.
UC San Diego is an Equal Opportunity / Staff Affirmative Action Employer that values a diverse workforce and provides reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities.