Full-Time Technical Writer (Palo Alto, CA)
Location: Palo Alto or San Francisco, CA
Department: Technical Publications, Engineering
Type: Full Time
Experience: Senior Level
Are you a talented, experienced technical writer who loves to write about highly technical subjects and is known for your excellent technical writing skills? Are you passionate about making sure your documentation helps your customers successfully do their jobs? Would you like to work at a rapidly growing start-up company with smart, hardworking, and friendly support engineers and software developers?
Cloudera is looking for an excellent technical writer who can write high-quality SDK and API documentation for Hadoop. This documentation enables developers and our customers to develop the Hadoop applications that are the foundation of leading edge data products. If you enjoy solving the puzzle of how to present complex, technical information in comprehensive, well organized, and easy to understand documentation, then this is the job and company for you.
• Write SDK and API documentation for Linux-based Hadoop.
• Write documentation with code examples that explain how to write applications that use Hadoop and its related technologies.
• Write installation, configuration, and administration guides for Hadoop.
• Write installation and user guides for Cloudera web-based configuration and management applications for Hadoop.
• Excellent writing and editing skills.
• 5+ years experience writing SDK documentation, API documentation, code examples, and use-case documentation for developers.
• Experience documenting Java applications.
• Experience writing installation guides, user guides, system administrator guides, or run books for technical audiences such as developers, system administrators, or data cluster operators.
• Experience using Linux (Red Hat Enterprise, Ubuntu, or SUSE).
• Experience using github or other source control system.
• Knowledge of typical IT or data cluster job tasks, or better yet, experience doing them.
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills, along with the ability to adapt to various methods of obtaining information from subject matter experts.
• Ability to be flexible and to adapt to changing responsibilities, situations, tools, and requirements.
• Ability to learn new technical subject matter quickly.
• Ability to work as a self starter who can work in a fast-paced, agile, and collaborative work environment with minimal supervision.
• Experience and interest in working as a member of a small, highly collaborative team of developers and writers.
• Experience with Hadoop or Hadoop-related projects.
• Experience documenting or using open source products.
• Experience using a XML-based editors and DITA for writing and delivering documentation.
• Experience working in an agile-style development environment.
Writing samples and references are required.