Full-Time Technical Writer (Nellis AFB, NV)
Job Title:SUPERVISORY, TECHNICAL WRITER-EDITOR
Department:Department of the Air Force
Job Announcement Number:9H-AFPC-822230-804994-TD
|$57,408.00 to $74,628.00 / Per Year|
|Thursday, January 10, 2013 to Wednesday, January 16, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time – Permanent|
|Few vacancies in the following location:
Nellis AFB, NV United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)|
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win…in air, space and cyberspace.
To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values — integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
IF APPLICABLE: Military service member’s “Statement of Service” will be accepted up to 120 days prior to separation date IF a terminal leave form or DD214 cannot be provided. The “Statement of Service” must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin, your rank, dates of active duty service, the Type of Discharge and Character of Service (i.e. honorable).
WHO MAY APPLY: Click here for more information. You MUST have one or more identified eligibilities in order to be considered. **Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list**
Air Force Employee (Current, Permanent, Competitive Service, Career/Career-Conditional Employee)
Appointment of Certain Military Spouse (EO 13473)
DoD Transfer (Army, Navy, DFAS, etc.–Excluding Air Force)
Employment of People with Disabilities – Schedule A, click here for additional information
Executive Order (EO) 12721
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)
Non-DoD Transfer (OPM, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.)
Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA)
Veterans’ Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Travel and relocation expenses may be paid
- Position requires pre employment and random drug testing
- Must be able to obtain/maintain the appropriate security clearance
- Position requires a background investigation
- The primary purpose of this position is to provide publications management, editing, and research services for the electronic publication of 200 Air Force, Navy and Foreign Military Sales publications.
- Serves as Chief of Publishing and as the Publishing Manager. Articulates Air Force and Navy policies’ for publishing. Manages serial publications through draft, coordination, and production phases. Coordinates the activities of publishing personnel. Researches and investigates new m: improved business or management practices for application to operations.
- Exercises supervisory personnel management responsibilities. Directs, coordinates, and oversees work through subordinates.
- Serves as senior publications editor. Works directly with tactics officers/subject matter experts in updating AFTTP and Air NTTP volumes.
- Ensures final quality check of electronic files prior to release. Provides editing instruction to project officers and tactics manual rewrite conference attendees. Acts as liaison with a contractor and enforces quality assurance’ standards.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-09) or equivalent. Specialized experience must include knowledge of aerial combat maneuvers and techniques, associated weapons systems, and aviation tactics terminology. Knowledge of accepted industry desktop publishing practices and standards including style, layout, and design in producing camera-ready documents for publication as well as procedures for classified and unclassified processing.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position:
Federal Time-In-Grade (TIG) Requirement for General Schedule (GS) Positions: Applicants must have served at least 52 weeks at the GS-09 or higher grade (or equivalent in an alternate pay system) within the Federal Civil Service to be considered for referral. The purpose of TIG restrictions is to prevent excessively rapid promotions in competitive service GS positions and to protect competitive principles.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
- Ability to plan, organize and direct the functions and staff of a medium sized workforce.
- Skill in writing, editing, and presenting material tailored for a particular audience or for specific purposes.
- Expert knowledge of the principles and methods applicable to researching, analyzing, writing, editing, and presenting complex material.
- Knowledge of aerial combat maneuvers and techniques, associated weapons systems, and aviation tactics terminology. Knowledge of accepted industry desktop publishing practices and standards including style, layout, and design in producing camera-ready documents for publication as well as procedures for classified and unclassified processing.
- Ability to work independently to collect information from subject matter experts and to clearly communicate that information in a variety of written formats.
- Ability to plan, organize, develop and oversee publications management for a large number of volumes simultaneously. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a TOP SECRET security clearance.
- This position has been identified as a test designated position under the AF Drug Testing Plan. Incumbents of this position are subject to selection for random drug test.
- 3. Completion of Professional Military Training, Squadron Officer School, is desired.
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To determine if you are qualified for this position, your resume will be reviewed and compared to your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Applicants, who disqualify themselves, will not be evaluated further.
Benefits of Working for the Federal Government – Click here for an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees.
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 80 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Incentives: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may or may not be used.
90-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
DIRECT DEPOSIT: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below)
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Wednesday, January 16, 2013
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, click here for the required cover page. This Vacancy ID is 822230. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire
2. OPM Form 1203-FX must be provided to show your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numbering sequence on the OPM Form 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire. Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire restarts with number one, so when entering your responses please continue regardless of number sequence. This issue has been identified and will be resolved as soon as possible. Applicants are responsible for ensuring their responses are transferred accurately. Click here for the OPM Form 1203-FX., and
3. Fax all required documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your OPM Form 1203-FX will be the cover page for your fax transmission.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant’s responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume) is received, accurate and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan. Faxed documents take 2-3 business days to process.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
The following documents are required and must be provided by the closing date of the announcement.
- Online Application (Questionnaire)
- Resume – If you submit a resume with inappropriate material e.g. photos, you will not be considered for this vacancy. Your resume may be submitted in any format. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). Resumes that do not contain this information will be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
If selected, you will be required to submit the following documents to substantiate your eligibility and/or qualifications. A list of required documents for all eligibilities may be located here:
- Eligibility Documentation, SF50, DD214, Proof of Disability, Certification of Job Readiness, etc.
- Transcripts, if qualifying based on education or positive education series
If you are faxing any documents, click here for the official cover sheet to print. The fax number is 478-757-3144
Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number and last four digits of your social security number.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Air Force Personnel Center
550 C Street W Ste 57
Randolph AFB, TX
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.