Full-Time Technical Writer (Mountain View, CA)
eHealth, Inc. is the parent company of eHealthInsurance Services Inc., and is headquartered in Mountain View, California with a marketing office in San Francisco, California. Founded in 1997, eHealth was responsible for the nation’s first online sale of a health insurance policy. With over 3 million insured members, eHealthInsurance is the leading online source of health insurance for individuals, families and small businesses.
eHealthInsurance presents complex health insurance information in an objective, user-friendly format, enabling the research, analysis, comparison and purchase of health insurance products that best meet consumers’ needs. Licensed to market and sell health insurance in all 50 states and the District of Columbia eHealthInsurance has developed partnerships with more than 180 health insurance companies, offering more than 10,000 health insurance products online.
eHealthInsurance is a profitable, public company (NASDAQ:EHTH) that is continuing to grow even in this challenging economic market.
In 2009 eHealthInsurance was named Best Insurance Website by Kiplinger for the 3rd consecutive year. It won a Webby Award for Best Insurance Website in 2007 and was nominated again in 2010. It was also named one of the 50 fastest growing companies in Silicon Valley by Deloitte & Touche in their annual Silicon Valley Technology Fast 50 Program Award. eHealth has been featured in the New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post and USA Today as well as with CNN, Fox News, Good Morning America and The Today Show.
Strong technical / requirements / specifications documentation writer with experience in writing product specifications and requirements documents for web platform products such as Web Services, APIs, SDKs. Ability to identify and gather information from marketing, product, business and IT experts as needed to define requirements and develop the functional specification for web application. Strong analytical skills, including Data Analysis Excellent ability to gather and articulate business and product requirements. Documentation consists of installation guides, system administration guides, database references, API/SDK guides, release notes, technical papers, and knowledge base articles, with a particular emphasis on database Platforms and associated Products.
- General knowledge of systems and information architecture standards and principles.
- Ability to proactively engage engineers, product experts, and marketing managers to determine key information elements.
- Excellent time-management and organizational abilities—must be able to work multiple writing projects simultaneously in deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent communication, organizational, project management, multi-tasking and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Knowledge of the IT lifecycle and the ability to work closely with IT project management on estimates and delivery approaches.
- Ability to work well with diverse group of people.
- Must be a self-starter and have the capacity to work independently.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Gathering requirements and working with team members to reach consensus on process documentation. They will also be involved in consultations with the business streams to define process flow, process documentation and training documentation, as required.
- Serve as lead user documentation writer for projects.
- Research and compile information and documentation, gather and sort available solutions.
- Write and update knowledge base content on the web.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Sales, Engineering, and others to identify and prioritize content to be authored and added to the knowledge base.
- Create screenshots and diagrams as necessary to explain technical concepts.
- Assist with general documentation projects as needed.
- At least 3 years of experience as a Technical Writer.
- Experience maintaining an organized library of documentation or Knowledge Base. Preferably maintained and updated online.
- Strong oral, written, presentation and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent team player able to work with virtual and global cross functional teams.
- A portfolio or samples of work demonstrating experience writing technical documentation.
- Experience writing around Platform components such as Web Services, APIs, SDKs, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in x or equivalent professional experience.
- Familiarity with a variety of design tools such as Frame Maker, Visio, Photoshop, Illustrator, & text editor(s).
- Experience with version control.
- Experience working in a collaborative team and working directly with developers and Product Managers for the direct production of documentation.
- Most of all, the successful candidate will be creative and have a broad skill set to contribute in several key areas of the business.
- Experience working in a collaborative team and working directly with staff to produce Social Media content and Blogs to be shared internally within the company and potentially external.
- Experience managing a team portal (Sharepoint, Box.net)
- Familiarity with database products (Oracle, DB2, and SQL).