Technical Writer (Mountain View, CA)
Technical writers take complex information and communicate it clearly, concisely and accurately without relying on technical or corporate jargon to explain what they’re trying to say. With a unique cross functional perspective, our team of technical writers are the key link between our engineers, marketing associates, developer advocates and external users and developers who comprise the wide Google ecosystem.
As a Technical Writer for internal documentation on Web Search, you will write documentation for Google engineers. You will design, write, and maintain developer documentation for the internal APIs and systems that drive Google web search. You will work closely with engineering teams to learn complex technical information and communicate it in a readable, concise, and accurate manner. Your documentation will play a key role in helping Google’s Web Search developers implement new and innovative features, such as Google Instant. You will also develop and implement tools that make your documentation easier to find within Google.
- Learn complex technical information and write technical documentation for Google engineers, such as architectural overviews, tutorials for software developers, API programming guides, and more.
- Respond to technical questions from Google engineers about the subject matter that you documented.
- Edit documents written by others; coach engineers to improve their writing skills.
- Develop tools and processes to automate document creation and maintenance.
- BS/BA in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience working directly within a software development team, including extensive interaction with senior engineers
- Proficiency with HTML and CSS.
- Experience using UNIX environments, scripting languages, developer tools, and version control systems.
- Proven track record of researching and writing excellent developer documentation, including architectural overviews and API programming guides.
- Ability to understand complex technical concepts and communicate them to a technical audience.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- Familiarity with both the client-side and server-side aspects of web development technologies.
There is always more information out there, and the Knowledge team has a never-ending quest to find it and make it accessible. We’re constantly refining our signature search engine to provide better results, and developing offerings like Google Instant, Google Voice Search and Google Image Search to make it faster and more engaging. We’re providing users around the world with great search results every day, but at Google, great just isn’t good enough. We’re just getting started.
Want to stop talking about changing the world and actually do it? At Google Mountain View, our global headquarters, we make products for hundreds of millions of users around the world that change the ways they create, share, communicate, collaborate and do business.
Take complex information and communicate it clearly, concisely and accurately.