Full-Time Technical Writer (Harrisonburg, VA)
We’re a leader in an exciting and fast-paced industry that’s evolving daily. We’re seeking a full-time temporary technical writer to join our User Experience Content team. In this role on the UX team, you’ll craft quick-start guides and other documents that help millions of people get the most out of their Rosetta Stone experience.
Job Profile Summary
Do you have an eye for detail and a thirst for innovative solutions? Do you enjoy varied, interesting projects in an ambitious, growing company? Can you work with minimal supervision, yet thrive in a team environment? Can you turn a phrase and hack HTML in a text editor?
• Gather requirements from stakeholders and negotiate timelines.
• Interview subject matter experts to collect the technical information needed to write content.
• Write English content for integration guides, quick starts, user guides, and ¬online help.
• Shepherd content through and help manage the localization process.
• Work in HTML and CSS to refine visual design of final documents and other deliverables.
• Use a variety of Rosetta Stone products to understand what you’re writing about.
• Other duties as assigned. This position has an approximate end date for the February 2014 timeframe.
• 3+ years of technical writing experience.
• 2+ years experience with technical authoring tools, such as Madcap Flare and Lingo.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, technical communication, or a related field.
• Ability to write for business-to-business users one minute and business-to-consumer users the next.
• Expert knowledge of American English grammar and usage.
• Fondness for style guides, glossaries, and brand guideline documents and ability to challenge them when needed.
• Background of writing, editing, and producing documentation in print, PDF, and web.
• Ability to finesse XML, HTML, and CSS files to produce a polished finished product.
• Ability to capture screenshots or screencast videos and edit images.
• Experience or familiarity with APIs, cloud services, and other emerging technologies.
• Passion for content management and localization.
• Appreciation for the importance of source control and versioning.
• Love for and experience with user experience and UI design.
• Great collaborative personality.
• Close attention to detail.
• Familiarity with multiple languages and/or background in linguistics.
• Extra credit: speaker of a second language.
• Extra credit: experience with terminology management.
Rosetta Stone Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws.