This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
5 Nov 2012
Full-Time Technical Writer (Dallas, TX)
Optimal Solutions & Technologies (OST, Inc.) is focused on project excellence. We specialize in providing Management Consulting, Information Technology, and Research Development and Engineering services. OST is one of an elite set of companies worldwide to be externally appraised CMMI Level 5.
The fundamental distinction of the OST team is its business knowledge in both the public and private sectors. We serve the aerospace & transportation, association & non-profit, defense, education, energy, financial, healthcare, and technology & telecommunications industries. OST is successful because we listen to our clients, we learn from our clients, and we know our clients.
- Using application and computer environment knowledge to generate formal reports (may include working in real time with engineers and technicians during the development and testing of new health care and tax processing systems)
- Creating or editing existing document templates to refine document quality controls for consistency and accuracy.
- Translating information of medium to high complexity into clear, concise documents.
- Developing a document structure to maintain the organization of documents in various categories to make them easily searchable.
- Developing a document review, release and revision process for the continual improvement and configuration control of internal documentation.
- Working in coordination with engineers, and specialists of various technical backgrounds to refine and clarify existing documentation.
- Acting in concert with the other team members, sharing and contributing ideas to improve document management and upkeep. Conducting research by interviewing subject matter experts and reviewing existing documentation
- Prior experience creating effective and professional Operations documentation for software running in UNIX Linux JBOSS, Oracle environment.
- Knowledge of creating end-user documentation, including structuring, chunking, and sequencing information for maximum effectiveness and usability in communicating with the audience.
- Experience in Rational products is desired
- Ability to prepare documents compliant with the Federal Plain Language Guidelines.
- Prior experience communicating with programmers, engineers, and/or business subject matter experts to gain an understanding of the audience and content.
- Proven skill in analyzing existing documentation and identifying enhancements needed to effectively communicate the content.
- Prior experience in performing extensive re-writes of existing documents to bring them up to expected standards for delivery to the customer.
- Knowledge of how to use formatting and layout to enhance usability.
- Expert knowledge of grammar, usage, and style.
- Demonstrated ability to grasp technical IT and programming concepts.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills to meet established priorities and deadlines.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Ensures documents are prepared or finalized in accordance with Section 508 compliance requirements.
- Provides status reports of progress on a periodic basis.
- Participates in determining objectives of assignment.
- Plans schedules and arranges own activities in accomplishing objectives.
- Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
This is a full-time position paying a base salary, full benefits, and has possible bonus potential based on merit and performance. To be considered for this position, please apply online with a cover letter and MS Word resume.
OST is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, religion, gender, native origin, age, disability, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.