This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
16 Aug 2013
Full-Time Technical Writer (Cambridge, MA)
|Job Title:||Technical Writer|
|Area of Interest:||Bioinformatics/Computational Biology|
|Job Description:||The Technical Writer will work with various research and development teams to support software releases and research publications with technical documentation, educational materials, and other information in printed and on-line formats. Create documentation and decide on policy and standards for documentation of publicly distributed software.
This individual will be responsible for project management and ensuring that documentation is current as new releases of software are developed and will collaborate with developers and researchers to create documentation that is comprehensive and accessible to biomedical research user.
Requires ability to understand biomedical application software tools and their applications.• Create and update support documentation for software packages, including tutorials, user guides, release notes, Web site materials, workshop materials, etc .for both hard copy and web distribution.
• Ensuring the creation and updating of documents adheres to project scheduling goals
• Develop documentation guidelines in conjunction with new software releases and associated publications and set schedule for their releases.
• Review publicly distributed software by using the software on the test data sets to ensure sufficient knowedge of same to provide adequate and useful documentation. Reporting any bugs or other issues that would impact external users to the relevant development or QA/QC personnel.
• Supervise contract technical writers as needed to support variable work load.
|Requirements:||• Excellent written, expository, and verbal communications skills.
• Demonstrated experience in creating technical or scientific documentation and support materials.
• HTML and Web technology skills.
• Self-starter with excellent problem-solving, organizational, and people skills.
• Able to set priorities and work independently.
• Must be able to deal with a rapidly-changing and high-demand environment.
• Minimum 5 years experience and bachelor’s degree in computer science, biology, science writing, or other related fields. Bioinformatics degree or experience a definite plus.The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.