Full-Time Technical Writer (Arlington, VA)
Thales is a global technology leader for the Aerospace and Space, Defence, Security and Transportation markets. In 2010, the company generated revenues of 13.1 billion Euros with 68,000 employees in 50 countries. With its 25,000 engineers and researchers, Thales has a unique capability to design, develop and deploy equipment, systems and services that meet the most complex security requirements. Thales has an exceptional international footprint, with operations around the world working with customers as local partners. www.thalesgroup.com
About Thales USA’s Air Traffic Management (ATM) Unit
Thales USA’s Air Traffic Management (ATM) Unit has been a major supplier of leading edge navigation and surveillance solutions for the Federal Administration Association and U.S. Department of Defense for more than 60 years. Our employees work with counterparts overseas to actively invest in new navigation, surveillance and automation products as well as the transfer of existing technology to the U.S.–developing local teams and expertise. Together, with its global sister operations, Thales ATM is helping to ensure the safe and efficient travel of family and friends around the world. For more information, visit www.thalesgroup.com and select United States under Select a Country Website.
Main Job Function:
The Technical Writer is responsible to assist, and in some cases, lead the preparation of all assigned technical documents, training materials, internal policy and procedure development, presentation materials and technical documentation from concept development through final production and delivery to the customer. The artifact developed by the technical writer shall meet the requirements of the internal and/or customer requirements. Documentation shall be prepared in a timely manner to comply with internal review requirements and customer requirements.
The Technical Writer reports to the Quality Manager and will be a shared resource with the ASD Technical Directorate and Business Development organization.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
* Responsible for the development of technical documentation and other related documentation for internal and external customers.
* Required to lead the development of the necessary artifacts, manage and control documentation in accordance with the Thales ASD quality management system and to customer requirements.
* Required to assist in document template development and document management.
* Required to assist the proposal management team in updating and maintaining marketing and communications modules. Additional duties include the following:
* Manage document/presentation from planning stage through submittal to customer.
* Provide complex word processing, technical writing/editing, graphic arts and visual presentation support during the document design process.
* Write administrative/technical documents using professional business writing techniques. These documents may include internal policy and procedures, technical engineering documentation, training materials, proposal documents.
* Prepare graphic art/visual presentations related to technical programs.
* Perform the final edit of documents to ensure format, content, flow and integrity are in conformance with internal quality management system and customer requirements.
Essential Job Skills:
* Proposal management experience desired
* Knowledge of business and technical writing/editing practices and procedures
* Experience with developing AS 9100 or ISO 9001 processes and procedures desired
* Proficient in written English and grammar
* Experience preparing proposals to US FAA or other US Government Agency;
* Three to five years of related experience in related field
* Working knowledge and experience with preparation of budgets, schedules and cost estimates
* Must be schedule driven, decisive and able to make sure team adheres to schedule and deadlines dictated by the proposal
* Organizational and time management skills;
* Effective communications skills (written and verbal) for interface with internal and external customers
* Able to work in a team environment (Engineering, Finance, Program Management, Business Development)
* Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office Software–MS Word, Excel, Visio) and knowledge of DOORS a plus
* Knowledge of internal Thales processes will be required including the Bids and Proposal Process and associated documentation for each step of the process
Education and Experience:
* Bachelor’s degree in English or related technical/scientific discipline or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work experience.
* 5-7 years in technical editing/writing, word processing, graphic arts and visual presentation experience.
Thales is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Posting: 02-Jul-2013, 10:02:40 PM
Department: 08 – Quality & Continuous Improvement