Contract \ Contract-to-Hire Technical Writer (San Luis Obispo, CA)
CygNet Software (A Weatherford Company) is looking for a contract Technical Writer to help create user assistance (help) and related technical documentation for Weatherford’s Field Office suite of Production Optimization Software applications. This is a 12-month, full-time or part-time, contract position with possibility for extension.
We are looking for an energetic and passionate technical writer to join the documentation team based in San Luis Obispo, CA located in the beautiful Railroad Square building within walking distance of downtown. Weatherford’s development and testing centers are located in San Luis Obispo, Houston, Edinburgh, and Mumbai requiring this position to interact with SMEs in multiple locations. Some travel to the Houston, TX office may be required.
CygNet/Weatherford believes strongly in the need for balance between work and personal time, which it maintains by offering flexible hours and reasonable project schedules. If you are eager to learn, and enjoy problem solving in a collaborative team environment, we invite you to apply by sending us your resume.
For more information about Weatherford Product Optimization, see: http://www.ep-solutions.com/ and http://weatherford.com/.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Plan, research, write, and edit technical documentation and online help systems using established documentation practices. Prepare complex technical material for a variety of audiences, both internal and external.
• Acquire, organize, and synthesize complex information by working directly with software products, researching design and functional specifications, and conducting interviews and meetings with cross-functional teams of SMEs.
• Possess an understanding of the documentation development process, the software development process, and product lifecycles.
• Bachelor’s degree in Technical Writing/Communication, English, Journalism, or Computer Science or related field with an emphasis on technical documentation. An equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience may be considered.
• 3 to 5 years experience as a technical writer in technology industry, with demonstrated writing ability.
• Strong technical aptitude with an ability to quickly learn, understand, and communicate complex concepts.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a thorough knowledge of grammar and style.
• Proficient in authoring and publishing software documentation using industry-standard Help Authoring Tools (MadCap Flare preferred), Microsoft products (MS Office, MS Visio, etc), and Adobe design products.
• Possess strong editing skills and an eye for design.
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills. Ability to work independently or collaboratively.
• Manage several projects concurrently and demonstrate adaptability.
• Strong interviewing skills. Must be able to build and maintain good relationships with SMEs in located in different time zones.
• Familiarity with user interface design principles, version control systems, and defect-tracking systems a plus.
• Willingness to work across cultures in a multinational company.