Full-Time Technical Editor (Seattle, WA)
Tableau Software is one of the fastest growing technology companies in the world, with nearly 100% annual sales growth. Tableau makes fast analytics and visualization products that help people see and understand data of any size or format. The company is on its way to becoming a large, market-defining company in the business intelligence industry and is next in a long line of high profile Stanford spinouts (e.g., Google, Yahoo, VMWare). Customers of all sizes use our products, from Fortune 500 companies, to video game designers, to scientists in the jungles of Central America, to high school principals. Our software is for anyone with data and questions! Additionally, Tableau’s web products (www.tableaupublic.com) are used by bloggers, journalists, and major media web sites to share data online as interactive visualizations. Check out our products at: www.tableausoftware.com/product-tour.
Tableau’s culture is casual yet high energy. We are passionate about our product and loyal to each other and our company. We value work/life balance, efficiency, simplicity, freakishly friendly customer service, and making a difference in the world. Tableau offers exceptional professional and financial growth potential.
What you’ll be doing…
The primary focus of this position is to review and edit help resources authored by the Documentation team and by other authors throughout the company. You will assist writers during the development of technical materials including guidance on organization, presentation, and brainstorming. You will be responsible for developing and supporting a sound review cycle within the Documentation team. You will also be responsible for updating and implementing style sheets and templates. You will collaborate with technical writers, engineers, support engineers, product managers, and trainers, not all of whom are native English speakers, to ensure high quality and accurate help resources. Some of the things you’ll be doing include:
- Using strong writing and editing skills to assist the Documentation team in authoring and producing a variety of help resources across many platforms. These resources include Product Help, Knowledge Base articles, Quick Start Guides, white papers, and some internal documents.
- Triaging, reviewing, editing, and publishing popular quick fix and how to articles that have been authored by Support Engineers using Knowledge Centered Support (KCS).
- Guiding and enforcing consistency in style, tone, and format across all deliverables. This includes maintaining a style guide for authors throughout the company.
Who you are…
- Experienced. You have 4+ years of experience directly editing for commercial software products; technical writing and localization experience is preferred.
- Excellent Writer. You have a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing that is appropriate for the target audience. You work well with a writing team and thrive in a collaborative environment.
- Problem Solver. You use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weakness of alternative solutions, conclusions, and approaches. You actively seek out simple and elegant solutions to complex technical problems.
- Organized and Precise. You have an eye for the misplaced detail and you can discern organization and structure in what appears to be a sea of chaos. You are precise and thorough and always pay careful attention to details.
- Technical. You are proficient in word processing and have experience authoring in HTML. Knowledge of XML, DITA, MadCap Flare, Adobe Creative Suite, and Salesforce.com a plus.
- Creative. You have a holistic approach to writing that includes thinking about how the documentation will be accessed and viewed. You are committed to creating useful and beautiful documentation.
- Educated. At least a Bachelor’s degree in Technical Editing, Technical Writing, English, or a related discipline.
To learn more about Tableau’s mission, please visit: http://mission.tableausoftware.com
Tableau Software is an Equal Opportunity Employer