Full-Time Sr Technical Writer (Austin, TX)
D&BTM (NYSE:DNB; www.dnb.com), headquartered in Short Hills, New Jersey, is the world’s leading provider of global business information, tools and insight. Our proprietary DUNSRight™ process provides customers with quality information whenever and wherever they need it. We manage the world’s largest and most valuable commercial database with information on more than 100 million companies. We gather information in more than 200 countries in 95 languages, covering 186 monetary currencies and update the information in the database over one million times each day. This quality information is the foundation of our solutions that customers rely on to make critical business decisions. Our solutions help businesses of all sizes reduce credit risk, find profitable customers, and manage vendors efficiently. As an organization, we are intensely focused on our customers’ success. Our aspiration is to be the most trusted source of business insight so our customers can Decide with Confidence™.
At D&B we value the diversity of perspectives that result from a variety of life experiences: ethnicities, ages, sexual orientations, genders, and other factors. Ours is a winning culture where we work together as a team with a clear focus on common goals and where team members are able to grow, develop and contribute to their fullest. Since 1841, we’ve given companies the insight they need to realize their potential… and we can do the same for your career.
The S&MS Shared Services team is seeking a Senior Technical Writer. This role will be instrumental in creating product documentation that will provide D&B customers with a better understanding of how to use the product as well as to gain greater value. It is the role of the Senior Technical Writer to act as the user advocate and apply a lens as to what a standard user, administrator or developer needs to know about the product(s) in order to successfully leverage them.
This position reports into the Shared Services team and is also dotted line reporting into a Product team, for a defined set of products. Specific activities for which this individual will be responsible include:
1) Leading and developing customer facing product documentation for a defined set of products.
a) Ensuring that all documentation development life cycle processes adher to including, but not limited to: research, text and graphics design, and/or creation of best practice API documentation.
b) Where final product is consumed in multiple forms (i.e., pdf and/or online help files), playing the role of customer advocate and make certain that documentation is inline with the anticipated needs of the intended consumer.
2) Provide focused and effective project managagment in defining documentation development and implementation deliverables and timelines to meet both release and customer deadlines.
3) Creating FAQs and publishing support articles in a product Knowledge base, as required, in support of assigned products.
4. May be called on to provide support for other internal, as well as external, documentation requirements as defined by Product teams that may be outside core focus.
• Minimum of BS/BA in English, Education or Technical Communications. Master’s Degree in Technical Communications preferred.
• Minimum of 5-7 years experience developing technical documentation. Minimum of 3+ years producing graphics from both concept and screen captures. Experience in producing training materials is a definite plus. A strong background working with XML Schemas, XML, SOAP UI, and API authoring tools is preferred.
• Experienced in the use of MSWord, Visio, Paint, Excel, Microsoft Project and Powerpoint. Should be familiar with MadCap Flare, Adobe FrameMaker, or ePublisherWebworks, and/or similar tools used to produce documentation.
• Ability to take complex concepts and translate them into quickly assimilated and easily retained information, through the development of clear, comprehensive graphics, and concise presentation of textual information.
• Self-starter who is not afraid to ask questions or seek out information. Must also be a team player who can work effectively, with minimal direction, in a time-sensitive, dynamic environment.
• Strong analytical and problem solving abilities with demonstrated ability to learn quickly.
• Effective at interviewing subject matter experts (SMEs), without negatively impacting their schedules, and leveraging other existing resources for required information (including ramping up and using the product).
• Ability to understand the priorities and scope for document deliverables, to handle fluid priorities and deadlines, and to produce quality documentation on very tight schedules. Demonstrated project management skills are highly valued.
As an industry leader, we offer world-class compensation and an exceptional benefits package. As well, you will enjoy an environment that recognizes and rewards your accomplishments.
D&B is an equal opportunity employer.