Full-Time Senior Technical Writer (Austin, TX)
Our client, an innovative supplier of ground breaking technologies and services to the gaming industry is seeking a Senior Technical Writer on its Platform Architecture team. The selected candidate will create a variety of technical documentation to describe concepts, procedures, and processes for creating games on the platform. This includes developing C++ API reference documentation, sample code, and technical tutorials and white papers for novice and expert game developers, artists, mathematicians, and compliance engineers.
This position requires a team member who can quickly understand our platform and audience, the company’s business objectives, and industry standards, and then use this knowledge holistically to author developer-focused documentation.
Primary responsibilities include :
- Write API reference and conceptual documents for a variety of audiences
- Personally test documented services and capabilities to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Create C++ and XML samples to include in documents
- Work with teammates to fine tune and document internal control procedures and processes
- Demonstrate an understanding of the technical and business needs of documentation users
- Contribute to documentation and product testing
- Proactively and independently learn new concepts and technologies to improve documentation quality
- Contribute to continuous improvement of documentation standards, tools, and processes
- Organize and develop deliverables with minimal supervision with a focus on project deadlines
- Establish and monitor a set of metrics that measure the success of your own documentation
Resume recommendation: We suggest you tailor your resume to highlight your past experience in these areas. Electronic or hardcopy samples of writing demonstrating technical expertise are required.
Education : Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, English, Technical Communications, or a related field. Position requires demonstrated expertise in Instructional Design, Technical Writing or its equivalent.
- 7+ years of experience producing high-quality, technically accurate documentation that describes complex programming concepts, demonstrates how to accomplish a wide range of programming tasks, and shows how to use multiple related application programming interfaces (APIs), all while working with established documentation style guidelines and using a product development specifications, source code, and other relevant resources.
- A strong understanding of common programming terminologies and processes, with experience reading programming languages (some or all: C, C++, C#) and a working knowledge of an IDE, such as Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Comfortable authoring in HTML and XML
- Experience working in an Agile environment and providing realistic estimates of documentation tasks
- Proficiency in authoring in Adobe RoboHelp and Joomla (or similar CMS)
Skills, knowledge, and qualifications:
Demonstrated ability to absorb and retain information quickly, specifically complex technical information and ability to create documentation from diagrams, specifications, and prototypes.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities with the ability to conduct research into a wide range of issues, as required.
- Willingness to be flexible and adapt to project priorities and processes and ability to meet deadlines and perform gracefully under pressure.
- Understanding and experience in applying document formatting and presentation techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior attention to detail with the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.