Full-Time Lead Technical API Writer (Short Hills, NJ)
Welcome to D&B, where critical business decisions can be made with confidence.
D&B (NYSE:DNB) is the world’s leading source of commercial information and insight on businesses, enabling companies to Decide with Confidence® for more than 171 years. Today, D&B’s global commercial database contains more than 225 million business records, and is a trusted partner for many customers around the world. We provide answers whether checking a company’s credit, deciding who to do business with, finding business leads, or spotting new business opportunities.
Since 1841, we’ve given companies the insight they need to realize their potential… and we can do the same for you!
At D&B, your success is our success, and we are committed to your development. If you want to be part of a dynamic and growing company and want the opportunity to make a difference, this is the place for you. Teamwork has long been something we value highly at D&B and for good reason. We work collectively to bring the best out in ourselves and each other to deliver on our aspiration.
At D&B, we lead with our values. All of our activities and decisions are based on and guided by these values:
- People – Treat all people with respect and dignity; value differences
- Quality – Pursue an unrelenting quest for quality; use speed and simplicity to achieve goals
- Integrity – Conduct ourselves with the highest level of integrity and business ethics
- Customers – Place the interests of customers first; our success depends on their success
- Teamwork – Commit to teamwork; seek out and utilize the ideas and skills of all associates
- Performance – Reach for the highest standards of performance; show a passion for winning
As a Lead Technical API Writer…
The Lead Technical API Writer plays a critical role in ensuring that D&B customers gain value out of our API product(s) through creation of well-written, customer facing documentation. Must be a strategic thinker and have a deep understanding of how a developer or business person may interact with the documentation and design for the appropriate audience. This individual must have a strong development background and an understanding of the API code and will be required to interface with developers on a day-to-day basis. Must also have proven leadership skills and work closely with cross functional teams including individuals from: Product team(s), Services Group and Data Management organizations.
Specific activities for which this individual will be responsible include:
- Developing customer facing product documentation for D&B’s API product(s) and Services
- Ensure all documentation development life cycle processes adhere to including, but not limited to: research, text, and/or creation of best practice API documentation.
- Partner with the Data Management teams to integrate all updated business element names and descriptions into the API documentation. Additionally, create a process by which new business elements added to the API flow to the Data Management team for update.
- Create a customer facing Data Dictionary that can be easily updated as new data is added into the API. Update the Data Dictionary, as appropriate.
- Assist in developing a Technical community for the API product documentation.
- Provide oversight and guidance in the design of customer facing Website(s) for Products and Services.
- Partnering with both the Products and Services teams, define a migration path for existing legacy API documentation.
- Manage assigned documentation development and implementation projects to meet both release and customer deadlines.
- Create FAQs and publish support articles in a product Knowledge base, as required, in support of assigned products.
- Provide guidance and support to other Product Documentation team members, as required.
- 10+ years’ experience documenting Web Services, specifically SOAP and REST, preferably within a software development environment. Understanding of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) required. Technical degree or work experience preferred.
- Strong background working with XML Schemas, XML, SOAP UI, and API authoring tools. Experience documenting APIs with Mad Cap Flare required.
- Self-starter who is not afraid to ask questions or seek out information. Must also be a team player who can work effectively in a time-sensitive, dynamic environment.
- Ability to take complex concepts and translate them into quickly assimilated and easily retained information, through the development of concise presentation of textual information.
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities with demonstrated ability to learn quickly.
- Effective at interviewing subject matter experts (SMEs), without negatively impacting their schedules, and leveraging other existing resources for required information (including ramping up and using the product).
- Ability to understand the priorities and scope for document deliverables, to handle fluid priorities and deadlines, and to produce quality documentation on very tight schedules. Demonstrated project management skills are highly valued.
At D&B we value the diversity of perspectives that result from a variety of life experiences: ethnicities, ages, sexual orientations, genders, and other factors. Ours is a winning culture where we work together as a team with a clear focus on common goals and where team members are able to grow, develop and contribute to their fullest. Since 1841, we’ve given companies the insight they need to realize their potential… and we can do the same for your career.
As an industry leader, we offer world-class compensation and an exceptional benefits package. As well, you will enjoy an environment that recognizes and rewards your accomplishments.
D&B is an equal opportunity employer.