Full-Time IT Technical Writer (Houston, TX)
BHP Billiton is all about smart technology, innovation and great talent. If you want a challenging career and a chance to explore resource opportunities as well as your ambitions, we’re the company for you. Think ahead. Think BHP Billiton.
The primary role of this position is to lead the Petroleum IM technical documentation effort. The incumbent will work with IM, business and service vendors to clearly and accurately document key IM processes. The documents to be developed include policies, standards, operating procedures and technical guides.
• Develops in-depth knowledge of company’s key IM processes, infrastructure and technology portfolio.
• Develop technical documentation including IM policies, standards, operating procedures and technical guides. Maintain technical documentation in alignment with new and revised IM process and group level requirements.
• Assist with communication and training of IM policies, standards, operating procedures and technical guides.
• Contribute to developing consistent standards and processes across BHPB Petroleum IM functions.
• Facilitates the sharing of knowledge and best practices within the broader IM team.
KEY DELIVERABLES / KEY DIMENSIONS
The IT Technical Writer will have overall ownership and responsibility for creating/maintaining technical documentation.
• Technical Documentation- Develop and maintain technical policies, standards, operating procedures and technical guides in alignment with Petroleum processes and corporate standards.
• Communication and Training – Create and execute communication and training plans of technical policies, standards, operating procedures and technical guides.
BEHAVIOURAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
• Is a role model to other team members of professional and ethical behavior
• Applies sound judgment based on experience, knowledge and ability to deal with ambiguity
• Has strong influencing skills, able to articulate IM deliverables required of others in the team
• Coaches and mentors less experienced team members and function colleagues with different skill sets
• Extends sphere of influence beyond current team into other teams in the same area and across divisions
• Is well networked both within the company and externally, recognized across that network as a significant contributor
• Is able to communicate the results of work by the entire team to management and partners, acknowledging contributions of others in both written and verbal skills.
• supports the leadership and strategic direction of the organization
• Works to help identify and facilitate changes into operational reality.
• Excellent interpersonal skills – can establish and maintain win-win relationships.
• Strategic thinker – open to new ideas and can assist in defining direction.
• Excellent technical and analytical skills – can resolve complex problems.
• Action oriented – consistently drives for and delivers results that meet or exceed expectations.
• Brings out the Best in Others.
• Self-driven with a positive “can do” attitude
• Possesses excellent work ethics and demonstrates through actions alignment with charter values.
• Infrastructure and Security team
• All other IM teams
• Key business contacts
• Corporate IM teams
• Other BHPB Business Units
• Service companies
• Hardware & Software vendors
Direct Reports (Positions)
Currently no direct reports. This position is expected to influence and direct multiple in-direct reports, and service providers.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited university in business, computer science, information system management or equivalent field.
Experience & Technical Competencies
• 4+ years’ experience in developing IT technical documents following technical writing standards.
• Excellent skills in clearly and accurately documenting IT process in the forms of technical policies, standards, operating procedures and technical guides.
• Advanced skills in MS Visio, MS Power Point and other MS Office tools.
• Experience in ARIS (Architecture of Integrated Information Systems) strongly preferred.
• Certification in one or more architecture / information technology disciplines (infrastructure, application, security, information, or business architecture) preferred.
• Knowledge of Enterprise Architecture frameworks such as TOGAF strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of information security and controls preferred.
• Experience in Oil and Gas industry preferred.
• Business acumen and understanding of applications and systems used in a large, multinational business organization.
• Excellent team and collaboration skills and ability to work with IM, business units and vendors.
Languages – English
THINK OF THE OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN BHP BILLITON. THINK LOCAL. THINK GLOBAL.
With 44,000 employees working in more than 100 operations in approximately 25 countries, we represent the world’s largest diversified resources company. We take our commitment to the communities in which we operate and do business in very seriously, and we are committed to operating safely and sustainably.
M/F/D/V EEO/AA Employer