Full-Time Instructional System Designer (Baltimore, MD)
|Title||Instructional Systems Designer|
|Description||Established in 1979, Sylvan Learning, Inc. is a franchise system that has served more than two million students, offering supplemental educational services to students at all skill levels and ages. Sylvan instruction is based on a proprietary method that uses assessments to pinpoint a student’s academic strengths and weaknesses, and creates a personalized learning plan that addresses each student’s individual needs and meets parents’ objectives. For additional information regarding Sylvan’s educational services, please refer to www.sylvanlearning.com.
The Company employs 175 full-time employees. There are 90 learning centers (located primarily in the United States and Canada). The Sylvan brand enjoys greater than 90% awareness among its target audience. The Company provides comprehensive support to franchisees, offering training in marketing, operations, human resources and education program delivery through Sylvan University to help them realize their financial goals. For additional information regarding franchise sales and operations, please refer to www.sylvanfranchise.com.
With its headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland, Sylvan is an entrepreneurial and fast-moving company with a collegial, yet focused operating style. The corporate culture focuses on strong teamwork and individual accountability, and it also emphasizes excellence in customer service. Above all else, the culture reflects a deep commitment to education, as well as a dedication to helping children grow. As a private equity backed company, the focus is on increasing the long-term value of the company and demonstrating strong growth in net operating profits. To that end, the Company recently developed a new strategic plan and is poised for growth. The Company is looking for someone who will help implement this plan.
• Under the guidance of Instructional Systems Design Managers, work in collaboration with subject matter experts, project stakeholders and clients from the Sylvan franchise community to analyze learning and performance needs.
• Develop design documents (milestone plans, storyboards, instructional outlines, etc.) to manage the training design process, ensuring that learning objectives are met and sign-off of designs by project team members.
• Develop e-learning courses, resources, and other training interventions to support business operations, applying appropriate instructional design methods and leveraging learning standards (SCORM/AICC) where appropriate
• Ensure that e-learning courses are designed and developed support the business objectives and the goals of the project stakeholders.
• Publish courses for use in Sylvan University’s learning management system.
• Implement multi-level evaluation strategies and analyze outcomes of training interventions.
• Communicate professionally with client contacts, subject matter experts, and third party service providers.
• Partner with Instructional Systems Design Managers to update and maintain existing training programs.
• Serve as back-up to Learning Management System Specialist
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s Degree in Instructional Design or related degree preferred.
• Minimum 2 years of instructional design experience, including demonstrated success managing all aspects of the instructional design process.
• Ability to use storyboards and/or instructional outlines to design and develop courses with high degree of independence.
• Manage all phases of the Instructional Design process using industry standards for design processes, such as ADDIE.
• Strong, creative writing skills that allows for development of engaging and dynamic content.
• Strong editing, proofreading and formatting skills.
• Knowledge of working with a Learning Management System and an understanding of SCORM course requirements
• Team player who is willing to learn and to teach others.
• Strong communications skills.
• Flexible and customer-oriented.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver sales training content.
• Knowledge of K-12 education or tutoring is a plus.
Required Software/Application Knowledge Required
• General working knowledge of the following software packages and scripting:
• Demonstrated proficiency in the following course authoring and delivery tools:
– Captivate and other Adobe E-Learning Suite tools
– Video, image and audio editing software
– WebEx or similar Web conferencing tools
– Cornerstone On Demand LMS or similar learning management system
• Mastery knowledge of MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project
• Detailed descriptions of previous project work should be included in your cover letter.
• Work samples, including both writing and design samples, will be requested from those candidates who are invited to an interview. Functioning online course samples required.
• Excellent compensation including a competitive salary
If you want to be a part of an inspired organization that believes in fostering knowledge and confidence in children, improving the lives of thousands of families every day – apply today, and don’t let this opportunity pass you by!