Full-Time Instructional Designer (San Jose, CA)
The California School Employees Association has over 210,000 members who work in 750 school districts in California. Our members provide support services to students. They are para-educators, employees in administrative and food service positions, bus drivers, nurses, and skilled employees in grounds, maintenance and operations. CSEA is the largest independent classified school employees union in the world.
We are seeking an Instructional Designer for our office in San Jose, California.
You create, design and produce training materials for members and staff. The work involves designing and writing storyboards, lesson plans, scripts, simulations, skits, publications and video content for classroom and e-learning applications. A background in graphic design with print and digital skills is a great fit.
You’ll develop a high quality training curriculum based on adult learning theory to enhance all aspects of CSEA culture and develop leaders within our membership.
This is a team environment. Service to our members and employees is a top priority. A key part of this job is to ensure that training materials compliment the strategic objectives of the CSEA brand.
Ideal candidates will be experienced with creating blended learning systems that combine classroom and e-learning modules. You will also have considerable exposure to leaders of CSEA at all levels.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Identify training and development needs through root cause and gap analyses
- Create and deliver high-impact seminars or workshops at meetings and conferences
- Train members and staff in delivering leadership development courses
- Create and write learning modules to align member and staff training with Field operations
- Manage projects with defined objectives, deliverables and project timelines
- Conduct train-the-trainer certification
- Develop, coach and mentor members and staff
- Evaluate impact of training programs
- Prepare status reports and updates
- Act as a change agent to align training activities with CSEA strategic initiatives
- May be assigned to other tasks and/or special projects as needed
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree; Degree in Graphics Design, Digital Art, or related field is a plus
- Three years experience with instructional design, storyboards, narrative scripts, graphics, and evaluation of training results
- Understanding of adult learning theory principles to enhance learning
- Able to represent data using a variety of high impact visual styles
- Experience designing blended learning programs is highly valued, including monitoring user attendance, test scores and registration
- Print and web design experience using Adobe software packages
- Proficient in HTML/CSS, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Self-starter with the ability to take a project from start to execution, prioritize and manage work load and meet critical project milestones and deadlines
- Exercise independence, initiative and sound judgment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Cool under pressure
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Candidates with union experience or political organizing are strongly encouraged to apply
- Experience may be substituted for educational requirements on a year-for-year basis
- California Driver’s License and proof of auto insurance
- Ability to travel overnight and on weekends