Full-Time Instructional Designer (San Diego, CA)
We are a small and fast growing online learning company based in Old Town, San Diego with a strong national client base. We are looking for a Instructional Designer candidate that can lead our instructional design projects as follows: Design, develop and maintain instructional training materials in various formats including but not limited to instructor-led, self-paced web-based, distance-learning and computer-based technologies. Courses are designed for entry through management levels in various disciplines.
This is a unique position that allows the designer to apply training and communications skills to convey a strategic message while also ensuring deliverables are instructionally sound. The designer develops training materials using a variety of instructional techniques, graphics and media web-based training and performance-support materials such as job aids and simulations. Candidate will use a systematic design process & support tools to select appropriate media & to develop storyboards, job aids, scripts, & instructor led as well as self-paced materials. This candidate will research, assess and make recommendations for instructional curricula and products based on company strategy.
Our organization is a deadline-driven environment where constant change is the norm. This is a position for a creative and flexible problem-solver, with extensive attention to detail, and has an artistic ability to design fresh, clean and creative training. The candidate must be comfortable delivering training when called upon, and prides her/himself on producing quality training deliverables in a fast-paced innovative environment.
– Must be able to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced, innovative environment that demands high quality, creativity, and consistency. – Manage and work on multiple, large scale, complex training projects concurrently.
– Able to independently develop entry and advanced level eLearning programs and support materials for a wide range of audiences.
– Ability to design online learning curriculum that is engaging, interesting and easy for learner to use and retain information.
– Assure overall quality of the curriculum exceeds expectations; this includes all course materials, job aids, Train- the-trainer tools, and other resources.
– Has a great talent for basic design and can borrow existing designs to maintain and update content and materials. Think of Apple products and website…this is how we want our training to look – clean, simple, creative. If you have the talent to create similar look, along with analytical ability to edit storyboards, create engaging scenarios and organize training materials, then you must apply!
– Maintain strong vendor relationships and coordinate with creative/ freelance designers, printers, photographers, etc., to ensure projects are completed on schedule, and within budget.
– Reviews design and learning industry trends and information, and categories to help identify product categories to enter as future sources of growth and support in setting new product pricing and managing price on existing items.
Qualifications / Requirements: 3+ years of relevant work experience as an Instructional Designer and/or training materials preparation
- Demonstrated experience designing and developing training. Work samples are required.
- Be prepared. We will contact candidates for online or email portfolio submission. Applications that cannot provide portfolio should not apply and will NOT be considered. Show your best training materials!
- MUST HAVE minimum 2+ years experience developing training materials. This is NOT an entry level position.
- Authoring Tools desired (PowerPoint, Lectora, Adobe Captivate, Photoshop, Articulate, Flash, Adobe Soundbooth or similar applications, PDF Pro,and social learning tools).
- Excellent PC skills with Microsoft Office including Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and Word.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to follow the problem through to resolution are essential.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be a self-directed, self-starter who works well with a team.
- Effective project management skills are critical for success.
- Ability to assemble effective training curriculums in a fast-paced and innovative environment.
- Identify and implement methods to support and deliver added value to the client
- Ability to research a subject and use subject matter experts to develop educational, interesting and regulatory accurate materials in a storyboard format.
- Knowledge of Instructional Design theory and Adult Learning.
- Extensive attention to detail
- Experience with graphic design tools such as Illustrator or similar and media development tools.
- Knowledge of WordPress, DreamWeaver, HTML
- Experience with scripting and recording training videos and/or detailed interactive simulations.
- Experience working in a constantly changing, fast growing, small business work environment or start up is a plus.
Note: This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history and a professional reference check; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended.