Full-Time Instructional Designer (Cupertino, CA)
Title: Instructional Designer
Location: United States-California-Cupertino
Job Number: 13012275
Xerox Corporation is a $22 billion leading global enterprise for business process and document management. Through its broad portfolio of technology and services, Xerox provides the essential back-office support that clears the way for clients to focus on what they do best: their real business. Headquartered in Norwalk, Conn., Xerox provides leading-edge document technology, services, software and genuine Xerox supplies for graphic communication and office printing environments of any size. Xerox also offers extensive business process outsourcing and IT outsourcing services, including data processing, HR benefits management, finance support, and customer relationship management services for commercial and government organizations worldwide.
Intellinex, a Xerox company, is focused on the design and development of high-impact learning solutions, addressing the complex needs of some of the leading companies in the fields of technology, media entertainment, consumer products, and financial services. We apply formal instructional design methods that engage the audience and are aligned with learners’ natural approach to acquiring new skills. Through classroom, virtual, online, mobile, and social learning we develop extended blended solutions that are redefining the way business develop their employees.
The Instructional Designer (ID) will design and develop learning solutions including but not limited to web/computer-based learning, instructor-led, blended instruction and virtual sessions. The ID works with subject matter experts (SMEs) to obtain the information to be taught and organize it into logical, instructional patterns that are appropriate for the culture and level of expertise of the end users. This individual demonstrates the application of adult learning instructional design to the technology and/or retail industry. Personal organization and execution are essential to delivering top quality training deliverables on time and on budget.
* Define the customer and learners’ needs and their relationship to the customer’s business objectives and issues.
* Link the needs analysis results to the learning objectives and training approaches when implementing the design plan.
* Create detailed design documentation including storyboards.
* Communicate design concepts to media specialists and other project members.
* Using knowledge about the customer’s business issues, design training that matches the learners’ training needs and contributes to solving the customer’s business issues.
* Contribute to definition and solution by leveraging expertise via such methods as prototyping and brainstorming.
* Write content into the authoring tool, using models to create the instructional document.
* Select models, enter all content into the templates, upload to the database and manage updates when necessary.
* Implement client’s design process and guidelines.
Development and Delivery Phase
* Identify and validate the content by working with subject matter specialists.
* Organize the content into effective and appropriate groupings that logically flow throughout the content.
* Build instruction so that the learners practice applying core competencies or objective within the training.
* Ensure the content/structure is designed and developed to standards.
* Develop effective assessment questions, quality distracters and practice interactions that match the objectives and content of the training and that accurately test the learners’ ability to meet the objectives
* Include the media developers in the creative process with the Subject Matter Specialist (SMS) early in the project to ensure quality and accurate development of all media.
* Work with the Graphics/Media Department to succinctly describe the work desired and to verify that the request is the most efficient and effective method of development/delivery of the visual training.
* Ensure that the requested media actually teaches and is appropriate for the intended instructional purpose.
* Ensure that all storyboards, graphics and final versions are created in sufficient time to make needed improvements, occasionally taking an active role in their creation.
* Develop training at the level of complexity for which the customer selects, so that the level of deliverable matches the level of the contract.
* Identify customer concerns, as well as expressed issues/objections and share them with the project leader.
* Identify add-on work or out-of-scope work.
* Conduct Unit Testing to verity all graphic, video and content-learning objects are in place and functioning properly.
* Perform Learner Quality Assurance, checking that the end-users will learn from the training.
* Perform Functional Quality Assurance on courses before they are released for delivery.
Risk Management Responsibilities
* Raise quality concerns or questions to the appropriate level.
* Ensure that deliverables have been edited and changes verified and functionality has been quality tested.
* Collaborate and/or complete work jointly with the customer’s staff.
* Promote team cohesiveness.
* Foster an environment of camaraderie.
* Design and estimate work and level of effort.
* Complete assigned work on time and manage time/effort within assignments and knowledge area.
* Ensure work is of the highest quality.
* Accomplish work on project such that the performance level meets the customer’s standards of excellence and the project’s requirements for profitability.
* Co-design performance goals and career path with Counselor. Plan and manage the overall success of career. Initiate meetings with Counselor to assess progress to plan and provide periodic updates in meeting these goals. Proactively plan and adhere to performance management timetable and requirements. Keep current with ongoing research and learning in field.
* Proactively share/transfer knowledge with/to the customer as appropriate.
* Coordinate work with peers, share information and share responsibilities for the best achievement.
* Comply with Xerox requirements (i.e., submitting time and expense reports, performance management, ARMS forecasting, etc.).
* Drive efforts to achieve the targeted utilization rate.
* Inform client or Xerox if underutilized.
Professionalism and Integrity Responsibilities
* Reinforce the clients’ image in the project environment.
* Model positive behavior in interactions with the team and with the customer.
* Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Education, Instructional Technology, Communication, Adult Training or other applicable curriculum that focuses on training required. In lieu of Bachelor’s degree, four years of applicable experience is required.
* Two years of experience in instructional design within the learning industry, participating in all phases of the project life cycle and demonstrating creative solutions for deliverables
* Excellent computer skills including competent operation of authoring software.
* Experienced scriptwriter with expertise in creating complex, realistic scenarios for videos and audios (off-the-shelf)
* Knowledge of: Video editing/production software: Final Cut, iMovie, etc.
* Knowledge of: Adobe Captivate or other screen capture technologies
* Proven track record innovating, preferably in regards to performance-based, engaging Web/computer-based and/or classroom training. Knowledge of gamification” of learning deliverables
* Excellent creative and analytical skills and the ability to convert information and needs into practical training deliverables.
* Proven superior writing skills, including the ability to write concise, creative and effective instruction.
* Strong business acumen with experience in or study of customer organizations and operations similar to target customer.
* Expert knowledge of: iWork Suite: Pages, Numbers, Keynote
* Knowledge of: Filemaker Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign.
* Must be very adaptive and familiar with social media
Xerox Business Services, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender identity, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, military/veteran status, citizenship status, basis of genetic information, or any other group protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox Business Services, LLC may request such accommodation(s) by calling 1-866-419-2226 or by sending an e-mail email@example.com.
Virtual/work from home? No