Full-Time Half Unicorn. Half Technical Writer (Location Independent)
We’re hunting for the unicorn of technical writers. That rare beast for whom logic and detail is their religion, but also indulges in the black arts of story-telling and entertainment.
See, we built a software platform that helps other businesses with CRM, project management, billing and more. First and foremost, our customers are people. Let’s not put them through the torture that is reading your average software user guide.
Sure, we still need to tell people HOW to use our product, but lets also tell them the WHY, and lets make this engaging through the use of scenarios, analogies and real-world context.
If you are the unicorn of technical writers, then you know our strategy already:
* Help me understand the Why, then…
* Show me the How,
* Make it interesting so I learn … and
* Have the knowledge so I share.
So who are we?
We are a 5 year old startup, which kind of makes us not a start-up. We design and build a business management platform that helps other businesses with between 5 and 100 employees improve productivity and efficiency; ultimately we help people be successful at work.
We have just over 1000 customers spread across the globe. And to make sure we can properly help our customers, we have 15 staff across Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, UK, Romania, Malaysia and China. But, we don’t have an office. With everyone spread out so far apart, why would we? It would just be weird going to work each day to sit in an office by yourself. And besides, no office means a smaller carbon footprint.
I know this is a phrase often thrown about carelessly and injected into every mission statement, but passion is a huge part of our company culture. For real. Think about it for a second. The people that buy our product are mostly business owners. To throw caution to the wind, start your own business AND stay in business ultimately means you are deeply passionate about something. We work with these people every day and because we know how much our product helps build other businesses, we can’t help but be passionate ourselves.
So what kind of work is involved?
Staying concise and jargon-free:
* Learn our product from a customer perspective
* Audit our existing user-guide
* Create guidelines for style, structure and tone.
* Edit the existing user-guide to match your new guidelines
* Design a process to capture content ideas, produce, review, publish and promote through social media
* Create new content for the user guide using your new process
* Work with the support team to develop a system for keeping content relevant
* Produce a weekly “how-to/why-to” blog post
* Publish release notes with each upgrade of the platform
So what kind of Unicorn are we looking for?
* Bachelors Degree in a related field (Arts, Computer Science, Journalism etc)
* Min. 5 years experience as technical writer, specifically for software
* Stand out communication, writing, editing and structure skills
* Screen cast and video skills. A big part of this role is producing 90 second instructional videos
* Self-starter. We don’t have a physical office, so you need to be able to start yourself up in the morning.
* Pro-active. If you face a problem, hunt down the person with the answer. Don’t just sit around waiting for the answer to show up.
What’s on offer?:
* Above average rates. We’re looking for talent and reward top achievers.
* Healthcare benefits.
* Unique flexi-time, working from home office
* Subsidized broadband and technology allowance (after trial period)
* This is a permanent, full time role (although reduced hours may be considered for the right candidate)