Full-Time Content Marketing Manager (Portland, OR)
Do you love creating powerful stories and compelling content that can serve multiple audiences – from traditional media to social media, from local newspapers and websites to major online communities and print publications?
Do you enjoy working with experts, families, teachers and children to write content that helps people and helps drive the perception of KinderCare, the largest early childhood education company in the US?
Are you passionate about building communities through content, and developing content strategies?
If you’re a confident, strategic thinker and doer who is passionate about education and looking for a new challenge, we’d love for you to apply for our Content Marketing Manager position.
This position serves as part of an integrated marketing team and will be responsible for managing the day-to-day content creation and distribution, editorial calendars, and media outreach duties for our KinderCare brand. The position requires a demonstrated ability to develop content strategy and integrate traditional and non-traditional marketing and communications tactics into thought-provoking, creative programs supporting all areas within marketing (collateral, website, etc). This position will be the go-to content and PR resource for all levels of the KinderCare team. The ideal candidate will understand the powerful potential of day-to-day learning and not be afraid to stand before internal and external audiences in the role of educator, strategic counselor, story teller, advocate and motivator. The ideal candidate can manage a fast-paced protocol with old fashioned hands-on practicality; all the time furthering the company’s business objectives, positively promoting the company’s reputation and proving the value to families of what we do every day in our KinderCare centers . This position reports to the Sr. Director of KinderCare Marketing.
Integration, Collaboration and Planning (40%)
- Partner very closely with national and field KinderCare Marketing teams
- Develop content and public relations strategies (including articles, events, webinars, etc.) and plans in support of KinderCare objectives, brand awareness and a positive reputation with all audiences
- Work closely with cross-functional teams including Education, Community Partnerships, Operations, Government Relations, Risk, Legal, Internal Communications, Field, and Training and key business lines to develop content and PR strategy, plans and messages for proactive public relations campaigns
- Partner with Social Media team and own all editorial calendar and content for KinderCare blog
Content, Messaging and Material Development (40%)
- Predicated on the KinderCare brand promise, write, key messaging, bylined articles, case studies, articles, stories, and all aspects of today’s social media components
- Develop press kit materials including backgrounders, fact sheets, spokesperson bios, etc.
- Manage the development and dissemination of social media releases for specific lines of business
- Develop and own the content strategy and editorial calendar for KinderCare
Media Relations (20%)
- Manage daily media inquiries and provide on-going counsel and support to internal clients requiring media relations response
- Direct activities that foster centralized protocol for handling media inquiries
- Respond to media inquiries, working with Field personnel with regard to media protocols and media training, parent communications, news releases, community involvement and charitable even activities
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field required
- 7-10 years or more experience in public relations or other agency or in a content development role with progressive responsibilities working on major corporate clients, preferably on a consumer related business with a B2B side (health, education, etc.)
- Must be self-starting and be able to identify and pursue areas of opportunity
- Must be passionate about the field, families, teachers and children and what we can do to help them
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of media, news relations protocol, crisis communication, publication management
- Strategic thinking abilities
- Outstanding listening skills
- Relationship building skills; outstanding individual and team contributor
- Persuasion, negotiation and decision-making skills
- Knowledge of corporate and early childhood education environment preferred
- Ability to quickly learn the industry and business lines including service offerings, competition, and industry trends
- Some air travel with overnight stay is required
Knowledge Universe – US is in the early stages of a turnaround. The newly formed Executive Team is keenly focused on creating great family experiences and childhood education with a reinvigorated emphasis on accreditation. To achieve these goals, concerted efforts are being made to enhance employee engagement, return operating authority to the individual centers, and streamline operating policies and procedures. In short the Company recognizes it cannot improve the experience of its students and their families without improving the workplace experience of its employees.
We are looking for employees that emotionally connect with the mission of the company and are resilient to the pressures of a turnaround situation. The Executive Team has defined a comprehensive and focused three year plan to ensure meaningful traction is made on key business goals. The company is already seeing positive signs of employee engagement and business performance in 2012. Recognizing turnarounds take time, Knowledge Universe is committed to staying focused on building a culture with leaders who can naturally eliminate unproductive distractions, and inspire teams to stay focused to do what’s right for families and to prepare children for school with a lifelong love of learning.
Knowledge Universe is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.