Full-Time Technical Writer/Editor II (Washington, DC)
Position Objective: Assist in writing and editing scientific/technical and/or policy, planning, and public relations-related materials such as reports of research findings, policy decisions, meeting summaries, medical countermeasure-related documents, etc.
Essential Functions: Researches and compiles technical data for use in documents or sections of documents such as manuals, procedures and specifications. Analyzes requirements of project to determine types of publications needed. Obtains data from independent observation, consultation with technical staff members or study of published materials and drawings. Ensures accuracy and completeness of technical documentation. Participates in general layout and manual organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist subject matter experts to support written and oral communications with BARDA stakeholders. Tasks will include
- Generating responses to controlled correspondence and Congressional inquiries
- Draft official reports to Congress, official letters, memos, reports, briefing papers, white papers
- Provide written material to include in presentations, speeches, and testimony for executive levels up to the Secretary of DHHS
- Accurately and efficiently incorporate edits and comments received from multiple stakeholders
- Translate complex scientific concepts into plain language that is easily understood by the general public, maintaining technical accuracy regarding the subject matter
- Distribute and store information to allow necessary staff to view documents
- Capturing meeting summaries and action items from meetings;
- Editing and proof-reading of medical countermeasure-related and other documents (Congressional responses, presentations, etc.).
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications (skills, knowledge, abilities)
- Proficient with computers and software programs as required for the position
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with various groups
- Examples of previous writing on scientific or medical subjects
Job Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years experience in scientific, medical, or technical writing and editing
- Bachelor’s degree in (or including substantial coursework in) a scientific or public health field
- A graduate degree is desired.
*This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by this position.