Full-Time Technical Writer (Santa Barbara, CA)
Entry level information developer/technical writer responsible for documenting the user-facing features and functionality of web and software applications. Supports assigned engineering teams by researching, composing and posting release notes for low complexity projects with direct supervision from more senior members of the team. Participates in the development of user product documentation hosted on the support sites. Utilizes basic knowledge of authoring and project tracking tools and practical experience and exercises judgment in applying document design and readability standards to work and completing assigned tasks in an efficient and timely manner. Responsible for maintaining persistent external documentation for a product or subset of product functionality for one or more product lines.
- Works with engineers, user experience designers, product management and other stakeholders to understand audience and stakeholder requirements. Creates and maintains engineering release notes and user documentation for new and existing company software products, according to standard documentation guidelines and techniques. Works with subject-matter experts to ensure technical accuracy and overall quality of documentation. Consults with programmers regarding the software or web application in order to gain an understanding of functionality and technical issues so they can write release notes and other documentation.
- Participates in peer reviews to proofread documents of minimal technical complexity for grammar, style and consistency of voice. Ensures that work is consistent with documentation standards.
- Conducts small projects independently. Performs specific portions of broader projects managed by supervisor. Solicits input and expertise from higher level technical writers.
- Provides backup for team members on documentation as necessary.
- Understands and utilizes organizational methods such as JIRA (project management tool) and documentation backlog. Prepares status reports as needed.
- Incorporates trends and best practices within assignments as appropriate.
- Updates team on current project status and informally presents deliverables to internal stakeholders; works with more senior technical writers to get approval to move projects forward and drive them to completion.
- Provides estimates and creates schedules for small projects and occasionally projects of moderate scope.
- Works closely with assigned teams, stakeholders and subject matter experts to understand current and upcoming projects that require release notes and external documentation; proactively reviews assigned teams’ backlogs to anticipate customer impact.
- Demonstrates technical aptitude and has the ability to diffuse complex information.
- None at this time
Qualifications and Requirements
- BA degree or equivalent in English, Writing, Journalism or a related field. Equivalent experience may be substituted for formal education.
- Demonstrates a familiarity with and an ability to apply technical writing best practices.
- Proven ability to adapt and work efficiently in a dynamic technology environment; experience working independently and as part of a team; and ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and strong organizational, project-management, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exposure to software tools for creating deliverables: Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, SnagIT, Madcap Flare (or equivalent help authoring tool).
- Teamwork: Collaborates with others toward shared goals, exhibits cooperativeness; collaborates cross-functionally.
- Communication: listens, asks for and uses input; shares information appropriately and openly; is accessible and receptive to positive feedback, constructive criticism and both good and bad news.
- Excellence Orientation: Strives to be the best that one can be and maximizes one’s own potential in helping Citrix Online succeed; exhibits resilience, persistence, tenacity and a continuous mindset for improvement; is goal-oriented with very high standards for quality of work; is strongly results-oriented.
- Accountability: Holds self accountable for keeping commitments and delivering the best possible performance, pays attention to detail, and gets involved through resolution; assumes responsibility and follows up personally.
- Authenticity: Shows a genuine, accessible and caring personality that builds trust, mutual support and credibility; listens, exhibits humility and gauges approachability of others; maintains composure and is able to be respectful and straightforward with others; develops trusting relationships; is highly ethical with a commitment to deeply held values; takes full responsibility for self; respects the confidentiality of and personally disengages from information they acquire, maintain and use in their job.
- Innovation: Participates in an environment that is conducive to innovation and new ways of doing things; exhibits curiosity and open-mindedness; suggests new ideas in response to and anticipation of business needs.
- Inspires Others: Motivates others by demonstrating pride, enthusiasm and passion; celebrates success and gives credit to others; exhibits optimism and vigor.