Full-Time Technical Writer (Houston, TX)
The Technical Writer will develop, write, and edit material for reports, manuals, briefs, proposals, instruction books, catalogs, and related technical and administrative publications in print or electronic media by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities are essential. Other duties may be assigned.
• Works injury free, achieves an injury-free working environment, and maintains the highest Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) standards in our industry.
• Strives for continuous improvement in worker safety and is dedicated to ensuring that each employee understands, and acts in accordance with, the company’s HSE policies.
• Works with high integrity and complies with corporate guidelines on business ethics.
• Receives assignment from supervisor.
• Observes production, developmental, and experimental activities to determine operating procedure and detail.
• Interviews production and engineering personnel and reads journals, reports, and other material to become familiar with product technologies and production methods.
• Reviews manufacturer’s and trade catalogs, drawings, and other data relative to operation, maintenance, and service of equipment.
• Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, parts lists, specifications, mock-ups, and product samples to integrate and delineate technology, operating procedure, and production sequence and detail.
• Organizes material and completes writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
• Reviews published materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, and content.
• Maintains records, files and revisions.
• Selects photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material.
• Prepares or arranges for preparation of index
• Assists in laying out material for publication.
• Arranges for formatting, reproduction, and distribution of material.
Job Requirements/ Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school preferred; or seven to ten years related experience and/or training preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses or other Registrations
Tools, Technology and Equipment
• Proficient in MS Office system.
• Proficient in publication software such as Adobe FrameMaker, Acrobat, and Photoshop.
• Familiar with illustrating software such as Adobe Illustrator, AutoCAD, Inventor, etc.
• Familiar with on-line publishing
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Other Skills and Abilities
Communications and Media – Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.