Full-Time Technical Editor (San Diego, CA)
Job Title Technical Editor
Auto req ID 13817BR
Position Status Full Time
Term Status Regular (Permanent)
Country United States
Office Location San Diego
Business / Operating Unit Environment & Infrastructure
Business Area West
Are relocation funds available? No
External Job Advert
This position requires creating, developing, planning, writing and editing environmental compliance documents, working with technical staff to gather data for documentation. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a passion for proofreading. Researches and translates technical information into documents. Recommends formats responsive to technical and customer requirements. Produces products that conform to the company documentation and quality assurance standards.
· Conceptualizes, plans, develops, and writes documentation sets, including concept, reference, and task-oriented information, targeted for different audiences.
· Identifies, plans, and revises technical writing project requirements and deliverables.
· Works with program/project teams to develop user documentation.
· Works with engineers in lab and test environments, interviews technical staff, collects source material, and conducts procedure validation with cross-functional technical experts for use in the field.
· Organizes material and completes writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
· Works closely with technical staff to design, write, and deliver professional product documentation.
· Meets with technical staff to discuss document requirements and gather data to be included in the documents.
· Conducts testing of documentation for correctness and usability of automated boilerplate documents
· Tracks revisions and ensures that they are reflected in the documentation.
· Participates in team meetings and contribute to the establishment of improved documentation processes.
· Participates in project planning, attends project meetings, reviews written content, and coordinates technical review.
· Evaluates new technologies to improve Technical Publication processes and outputs.
· Participates in defining content development strategies and work with authors to guide them on how to create content per defined standards.
· Works with writers and technical resources to improve document quality and usability.
· Maintains current knowledge of technical writing techniques, tools, methodologies, and user interface development guidelines.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Excellent written, verbal, and oral communication skills.
· Ability to translate, statistically analyze, and effectively report data problems through written and/or graphical formats.
· MS Word, Excel and Adobe Acrobat.
· Excellent writing skills and demonstrated experience in advanced properties of MS Word, templates and macros
· Ability to accurately interpret engineering and other technical material and information.
· Ability to adapt quickly to change and work successfully in an evolving environment.
· High degree of self-motivation and strong orientation toward teamwork.
· Comprehensive knowledge of the technical writing process, including planning and development.
· Ability to work in a very fast paced, deadline-driven environment.
· Able to plan and lead a major documentation project or improvement initiative with multiple writers and other team members.
· Expertise in document conversion, including styles and tags, across multiple applications (ex: Word to pdf)
· Excellent organization and planning skills with proven project management experience.
· Solid command of the English language and the ability to articulate complex technical concepts in written form. Strong organizational and analytical skills.
· Ability to solve a wide range of complex problems related to creation and maintenance of documentation sets in creative and practical ways.
· Coordinate multiple projects to ensure content is completed on time and project requirements are met. Track internal schedules to ensure milestones are met. Communicate with all functional groups to establish and monitor project requirements. Attend reviews and ensure customer comments and issues are resolved and incorporated into the technical documentation
· Continuously improve the quality of existing documentation
· Support editorial reviews to ensure accuracy, consistency, and usability of the content
· Provide editing and writing support for proposals and other marketing documents prepared for government readers
Strong competence with the various tools, procedures, programming languages used to accomplish the job.
Minimum of five (5) years of experience is required; minimum of five (5) years in advanced-level technical writing and document management.
EEOStatement AMEC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment.
BoilerPlateText AMEC is a focused supplier of consultancy, engineering and project management services to its customers in the world’s oil and gas, mining, clean energy, environment and infrastructure markets. With annual revenues of some £4.2 billion, AMEC designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets and employs over 29,000 people in around 40 countries worldwide. See amec.com.